I went out to an event early today – reluctantly.
Since I’d only found out about the event within the past 48 hours, I
thought that there was no way that I could clear my calendar enough to
But then, I decided to go – ONLY because I wanted to offer my
undeniable support to a local friend who made it clear that he needed
In a nutshell, here are my take aways from going to this meeting I
didn’t want to go to:
1. Met the Mayor of Hartford
2. Met Hartford’s Chief of Police and a Councilwoman who happens to be
a writer whom I admire
3. Reconnected with a Board of Education director whose family I know
almost as well as my own
4. Met 10 local business and community leaders whom I’d ordinarily
relish meeting – Believe me, I RELISHED meeting them!
5. Visited one of my favorite sites in Hartford (The Artists’
Collective) Great improvements coming to the neighborhood.
6. Heard a local live band play some classic jazz (Haven’t heard some
of those classics live in a very long time)
7. Witnessed some young men and women do AMAZING classical African
dances. AMAZING. My eyes were happy!
8. Saw a beautiful dance excerpt from the Lion King
9. Saw a young man do a breathtaking hip hop dance (He jumped on a
dinner table with a lit candle on it – don’t know if it was planned.)
10. Got a small, one-day contract
11. Met the wife and son of legendary saxophonist Jackie McLean
12. Engaged in really good conversation the entire time (I LOVE good
13. Met a Criminologist whose views are so clear that it would be a
crime to keep them private!
14. Found a venue tor monthly networking events – which I’m ECSTATIC
15. Free dinner! 🙂
And, yeah – supported MY FRIEND!
I really think I need to get out MORE! 🙂