If you don’t have the resources, consider hiring a temporary intern – I have seen that some young digital natives can turn out to be effective in social media with the right attitude, despite lack of experience with social media in business! But how do you search for the best possible candidates? What questions do you ask and what answers will make you leap for joy or show them the door?
1. What does Social Media mean to you? (Hint: You’re looking for an answer beyond “talking on Twitter and Facebook and more about forming relationships with customers and community.)
2. How do you start strategizing? How are you going to manage my accounts? (Hopefully they know of a content management system such as Hootsuite or BundlePost but realize it’s to help push content out…so they can engage!)
3. What tools are you going to use? (Clap if you hear something else in addition the standard Facebook, Twitter.)
4. What metrics have you used to measure results and effectiveness?
5. What platforms do you personally use? (Looking for a true expert? They better have a blog!)
6. How are you going to engage and respond to my community?
7. How will you measure ROI? What are some ways you can do that? (Keep in mind: ROI doesn’t have to be sales – it can be number of retweets, sharing, number of clicks, and views. Many social media enthusiasts will say they just focus on engagement, not the numbers, and while I am an avid supporter of relationship building, it IS measurable – you just have to decide what you want to measure – especially if you are selling a product. If they claim ROI is not necessary – smile and nod nicely, but they probably just have a lack of experience)
8. Have you created content? (They can act as ghostwriters on your blog, create stories with Storify and content, short or long, for other social media channels.)
9. Do I need to be spread out on all the channels? (This is a goodie: If they claim you need to be spread out, be wary. It’s about targeted efforts that is most effective to your goals and they should be willing and able to determine that).
10. Why don’t you help fill in this one? What do you think? Comment below!