“If you do not want to be forgotten when you are dead, either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.” –Ben Franklin.
Easier said than done, right? Just sit down and write. I’m sure you have heard the phrase, “Everyone has a book in them.” If so, what’s yours and how can you get started . . . NOW?
Recently I held a workshop where one of the participants challenged herself to shorten the four months it usually takes authors to write their books using my special process. Surprisingly, she finished in half the time.
So how did she accomplish this? Here are the steps I recommended:
- Research the competitive books on your subject, analyzing the best keywords for your title and subtitle.
- Come up with five to ten book titles and subtitles that contain as many keywords used in other top competitive books.
- Determine the categories where you will be best able to compete.
- Query friends and others, online and off, asking them to choose the book title that resonates with them most. Then pull the book titles that got the most interest.
- Now let your culled list of book titles rest for a few days. When you return to your research, see which choice resonates with you the most. Choose that title.
- Develop an outline that includes topics that readers of books like yours have found most helpful.
- Create up to 10 chapters titles that support your research.
- Make sure the ideas that readers of other top books similar to the one you want to write said they didn’t see covered.
- Create five to ten sub-headings for each chapter. Again, you can turn to competitive books to find your sub-headings.
You now have the start of a solid book. It’s just the beginning, yes, but it’s all yours. And if you keep going, committing to a writing schedule, you will realize that you have accomplished something significant–the creation of a book that will help take your business or career to your next level of success.
Is your book waiting for you to bring it to life? Is your life waiting for you to bring it into a book?
This Holiday Season
If there is ever a good time to start writing it would at the end of one year with the hopefulness that a new year brings. So, my wish for you is to be bold! Start today. You won’t regret it.
Here’s to your publishing success!
p.s. Know others who could benefit from this message? Please forward this to them.