Linkedin: Much Ado About A Million Or Two
A Brief Meditative Contemplation About Extraordinary Potential
I think Linkedin is better than Linkedin thinks it is.
Surprising statement perhaps. But bear with me for a moment.
You see I believe I look at Linkedin a bit differently than most people do.
I haven’t talked with Linkedin about specific numbers and I intentionally didn’t invest the time to do exhaustive research on specific numbers.
Those two things aside, let’s take some very broad numbers and contemplate some things that make them worth considering. Things that make you go, "Hmmmm!!!" At least they do that for me! 🙂
If we say that Linkedin is a networking environment for business professionals and then say that the average Linkedin member has 10 years of experience and then say that there are now 15 million users, that’s a total of 150 MILLION YEARS OF WORK EXPERIENCE!
Sort of like oil fields, or goldmines, or spice islands, or "acres of diamonds".
Just sitting there.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but if my memory serves me correctly, I believe it only took 962 person years to build New York’s Empire Station Building.
If there are 150 Million years worth of experience on Linkedin, that could mean:
- hundreds of thousands of years of business building experience
- thousands of years of artistic experience
- thousands of years of computer experience
- thousands of years of entertainment experience
- thousands of years of medical experience
- thousands of years of nonprofit experience
- thousands of years of scientific experience
- thousands upon thousands of years of communication experience
- thousands upon thousands of years of executive leadership experience
- thousands upon thousands of years of problem resolution experience
- hundreds of thousands of years of teaching & coaching & counseling experience
- MILLIONS of years of networking experience
Hmmmm!!! I wonder what would happen if those thousands, if those hundreds of thousands, if those thousands upon thousands, if those MILLIONS of years of experience could talk, could communicate, could be put to SOME USE?
I wonder and I wonder and I wonder!!!