I continue with my interview of our Licensee from Phoenix, Alonzo Russell
7. How do you use networking to support the success of others? When you use the word “connector” that’s what I am. I connect people. I sent out emails today to three people I met on Friday connecting them to others I believe can help them. I even talk with the people I am connecting to make sure I know how they want to connect. It is not about me but about what I can do for others.
8. What are your top values? – That’s a hard question for me to answer. I have hired a life coach myself to help me identify what they are; I think I know what they are but I want to really get some clarity in understanding. I want to help others but what ultimately I want out of my life? What is the piece that drives me?
9. What attributes do you bring to the job as a leader that are related to the skill of networking? – eg.1. creativity, 2. innovation, 3. team building. – I try to find creative ways to build my network. I created a mastermind group to that end. I just got a testimonial from one member who is part of the group, who at first did not know if she would get something out of the group. She said she has learned so much and has made life-time relationships.
10. What public figure has raised in your eyes the standard of performance of networking? I would say that two people here that I know would be, first, the president of our chamber in Gilbert and the vice president of one of our local hospitals.
11. What is your number one strategy for success? Mine is just sticking with what goal you have set. This is from the Disney movie “Finding Nemo” which is funny but in that movie there is a little blue fish called Dori. She says at some point to Nemo’s dad, ”Just keep swimming.” There will always be roadblocks but you need to “just keep swimming.”
12. What role does social responsibility play in your life as a “Linkable Leader”? – I guess we each have a responsibility if we are going to be a connector that we understand that role. I went to a meeting at the chamber for a committee I am on and we were talking about why people don’t renew their memberships. They go to one event and if they don’t get a client they give up. They need to understand that you are going to events to open relationship possibilities and from that come clients.
13. What is something you have not done as a leader you would still like to do? The one thing I would like to do is write a book. I have shared that with you and I do believe that it is one thing that is part of being a leader is giving back. I would also like to speak more.
14. Please name the best networker you know and why. Besides you (Melissa Giovagnoli), there is Kathy, the president of the Gilbert Chamber of Commerce.