It is just as simple as I can’t stand it anymore that people are out of work and aren’t getting really good help to find jobs. I was watching a CNN news show today with a woman who was a career coach offering advice for job seekers. Basically she said to figure out your passions and then tell your network about what they are and that will be the first step in helping you get a job.
That’s like saying if you want to buy a car the first step is to go to the car dealer and let them know that you have a passion to own a BMW. But does that get you a car without more steps like finding the money to pay for the car? Similarly getting a job is so much more than just letting your network know about your passions. There are steps such as:
- Figuring out where the jobs are out there.
- Finding more people than just the ones you know–in other words the people they know–often called “The Hidden Network” who can help identify available jobs now and also within the next three-six months.
- Knowing the best things to say to connect with people so you don’t make the conversation all about you. For example, you should not call people and say, “Can I pick your brain? I need a job.”
- Know that, most likely, according to extensive research on job searches, the job you will get won’t likely be a result of the people you know well. There is a phenomenon called “The Law of Weak Ties.” It goes something like people who actually don’t know you well will be more likely the people who will be the “connectors” who lead you to a new job.
- Know how to move the job search along by building a good network of these new targeted connectors using tools like LinkedIn. The growth of what is called the LION or Linked in Open Networker means that there are now thousands if not millions of people who are out there who would be happy to help you find a job.
And there is more and more. So how do you get started and how do you do it without spending a lot of money? Well, I am offering it to you for free. Yes. I mean FREE. I took six months a year ago to create a “Networking for Jobs” e-learning program and I am going to give it to you for FREE. It is chock full of all the details and even scripts to help you know who to connect with and what to say once you do connect.
So what’s the catch? Nothing. I would only ask that if you really like it and it helps you, you tell me exactly how it helped you. I am looking for people who can do what I believe the process I recreated can do–cut your job search time by 50% or more. Also, if you really like the process I do hope you will tell others about it who work at companies where they can hire myself and my Networlding Certified Coaches with more opportunities to share the Networlding system inside companies where they have some budget for training because Networlding works well also for sales and marketing initiatives.
Finally, what do you need to do to get the free e-learning program? Just email me at email@example.com and ask for the program. I look forward to helping you.